“It (his description) is very shocking and bizarre,” Momen told a press conference, referring to an article published in Bengali newspaper ‘Kalbela’ on Sunday titled ‘US sanctions are on the way, government is ready’. ‘
Foreign Minister of Bangladesh Dr. A. Of. Abdul Momen dismissed the article published in a newspaper on Monday as “false and baseless”. The article describes Momen as “pro-China” and alleges that he worked as a lobbyist for Chinese organizations before becoming a minister in 2018. “It (his description) is very shocking and bizarre,” Momen told a press conference, referring to an article published in Bengali newspaper ‘Kalbela’ on Sunday titled ‘US sanctions are on the way, government is ready’. ‘
External Affairs Minister held a press conference to brief about the upcoming visit of Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to Qatar. This article is written as an analysis. It claimed that Momen worked as a lobbyist for Chinese organizations before becoming a minister in 2018. Rejecting the statement, Momen said the article was “fake and baseless”. He said that no reference or source has been cited in support of the claim made in the article. “In fact, I lived in America and worked there for decades,” he said. Before joining politics in 2017, Momen served as Bangladesh’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations.
He lived in the US for more than three decades and worked as a professor of economics at a university in Boston. Momen became the country’s foreign minister after the 2018 general election. Shortly after the article was published on Sunday, the Ministry of External Affairs condemned the analytical article. The foreign ministry said the remarks about Momen were “outright lies” and made with mala fide intentions and tarnished the image of the Bangladesh government. On reports claiming the US will impose new sanctions on Bangladesh, Momen said there is no reason for it and added that it depends on the country concerned.
He said, “We have no information about the new sanctions because it depends on the country concerned (but) it will be unfortunate if the US imposes new sanctions.” On December 10, 2021, seven current and former officers of Bangladesh’s anti-crime Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) were banned on the charge. Bangladesh protested against the sanctions and urged the US to reconsider its decision. Last week, a senior US State Department official said it was heartening to note that “extrajudicial killings have come down significantly” after the RAB ban.
Disclaimer:newsinfrance.com has not edited this news. This news has been published from PTI-language feed.