The colossal statue of the emperor was reconstructed in facsimile from the original fragments found in 1486. Shock and knock.
In Rome (Italy)
Can archeology find a second wind in resin? In the Caffarelli gardens behind the Capitoline museums, stands a gigantic colossus 13 meters high: It is Emperor Constantine, ruler of Rome and the Empire between 306 and 337 AD. which officially recognized the Christian religion, and whose statue was reconstituted in resin, stucco, marble powder and plaster.
Sitting on his throne, looking far away, wrapped in a cloak which leaves him half uncovered, holding in his right hand a scepter with a long handle, in his left, a terrestrial globe. Of this work which remained one of the most significant Roman sculptures of late antiquityand the largest of antiquity, we only knew fragments found in 1486 in the basilica of Maxentius: a head two meters high, two feet, the right tibia, a right knee, a right arm, a hand right, a wrist, all preserved, since the end of the 15th century, in the…