prof. Dr. Ahmet Ercan: There will be at least 15-20 aftershocks up to 6.7
Speaking about the earthquakes in Malatya, High Geophysics Engineer Prof. Dr. Övgün Ahmet Ercan said, “The aftershocks will be even bigger in that region. There will be at least 15-20 aftershocks up to 6.7.”
Senior Geophysicist Prof. Dr. Övgün Ahmet Ercan came to Karabük with the invitation of Safranbolu Municipality and gave a conference to the citizens on earthquake.
“WE NEED TO CHANGE PLANS”
Speaking at the opening of the conference, Safranbolu Mayor Elif Köse said:
*Measures should be taken as soon as possible by both our government and related institutions.
*Considering the two major devastating earthquakes that took place recently and the earthquake expected to occur in the Marmara Region in the near future, we should immediately restructure our cities in an earthquake-resistant manner and strengthen existing structures.
* On the one hand, we need to speed up the scientific studies to accurately predict the possible earthquake risk, and on the other hand, we need to change the short, medium and long-term disaster management plans.
* The earthquake risk of existing settlements should be determined and in-depth research should be conducted on new settlements.
“ATCHES AT LEAST 15-20 EARTHQUAKE UP TO 6.7”
In his speech, Prof Ercan reminded the last earthquake that took place in Malatya and said:
* The earthquake in Malatya is an aftershock. I did a fracture research in that area and couldn’t find it. It may be an unsurfaced fracture, but it must have broken. The length of the fracture is 3 or 4 kilometers according to our calculations. Aftershocks will be even bigger in that region.
*At least 15-20 aftershocks up to 6.7 will occur in the next 3-4 months or year. It will make moderately damaged structures heavily damaged and demolish heavily damaged structures. The work to be done there, in my opinion, is to demolish the moderately damaged and heavily damaged structures before removing the dents.
*Because in the recent earthquake of 6.4 magnitude, one person died and 100 people were injured. Hand in hand, the country’s economy was already bad, we were already suffering from financial difficulties.
* Now our troubles have become more severe. In such a situation, to stand helpless and hopeless would be defeat.
* We need to come up with solutions together with scientists, sociologists and psychologists. Everyone’s psychology is very bad in Turkey right now. Sometimes I get over my feelings, I start to cry. We are not wood, we are sentient creatures, we are human.
“IF I MANAGE THE STATE, I WILL SUPPORT THE PEASANT IN THERE”
*I am not a politician, nor do I run the state, but as a citizen Övgün Ahmet Ercan, we need to increase production immediately. We need to open factories again, own them, produce our own mineral deposits and earn money.
* How are you going to build those houses again? We need to earn money. In order to make money, we need to produce and sell something. How many sheep, how many goats, how many cows were lost there, which is not clear. We don’t know these yet.
*If I were the person running the state, I would give 10 cows to each of the villagers, regardless of losses, because if they cannot produce milk, we will buy 25 liras per liter of milk now, maybe 50-60 liras per liter of milk very soon.
*We will eat 1 kilogram of yogurt for maybe 80 liras. If we buy tomatoes for 20 liras now, maybe we will buy them for 40-50 liras. This will grow and multiply in the next 5-6 months.
“WE NEED TO STOP MIGRATION IN THE REGION IMMEDIATELY”
*I’m not an economist either, but you don’t need to be an economist or agricultural engineer to see these. What we have to do is stop immigration there. Nearly 2 million people have migrated from this region so far.
The population of that region is 13 and a half million. According to what they say, 2 million of them emigrated, the population of the region is currently 9 and a half million. This migration must stop immediately. Anatolia has an agricultural memory.
* If the farmer, the sower leaves from there, who will sow the fields and who will reap? It is a sensitive region of Turkey. There are many refugees. If they migrate, they will settle in their place. Hatay, Kilis Gaziantep and Şanlıurfa are sensitive places in Turkey. Our job is not easy. (PHOENIX)