Colombian Fernando Gaviria won the fourth stage of the Tour de San Juan cycling race on Wednesday over 196.5 km between the Villicum circuit and Barreal in a sprint, and at the same time took the lead in the general classification. For his first victory in the jersey of his new team Movistar, Gaviria (28) beat the Slovak Peter Sagan (TotalEnergies) and the Italian Filippo Ganna (Ineos).
Ganna started the sprint but was overtaken by Gaviria and Sagan, who had taken the Colombian’s wheel. Irishman Sam Bennett (Bora-Hansgrohe), winner of the first stage and still overall leader on Tuesday evening, was trapped and lost a lot of time. Overall Gaviria leads Sagan by ten seconds and Ganna by 14 seconds. The race, which ends on Sunday, observes a rest day on Thursday. On Friday, the 5th stage will take the riders from Chimbas to Alto Colorado (173.7 km).
Ranking of the 4th stage:
1. Fernando Gaviria (COL/Movistar) 4h35:27.
2. Peter Sagan (SVQ/TotalEnergies) mt
3. Filippo Ganna (ITA/INEOS) mt
4. Yves Lampaert (BEL/Quick Step) mt
5. Niklas Märkl (GER/DSM) mt
1. Fernando Gaviria (COL/Movistar) 4:06:19 p.m.
2. Peter Sagan (SVQ / TotalEnergies) at 10.
3. Filippo Ganna (ITA/INEOS) at 14.
4. German Nicolas Tivani (ARG / Corratec) at 16.
5. Tobias Lund Andresen (DEN/DSM) mt